The Greater Manchester Engineering Challenge is an innovative project that will run during the academic year of 2017-18. It aims to engaage and inspire primary and secondary pupils and their teachers in the engineering design process and developing engineering habits of mind. Sponsored by the Institute of Engineering and Technology and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, this project forms part of the Engineering Education Grant Scheme.
THE 2018 CHALLENGE will encourage collaboration between teachers, children, engineers and academics to design, prototype, test and build a record breaking marble run!
The project will take part in 2 cycles.
CYCLE 1 (focused on specifically targetted primary and secondary Greater Manchester schools) will comprise of:
- A Hackathon for schools new to engineering where teachers and teams of pupils attend the University (9th January 2018). Here they'll be presented with the challenge brief, have time to assembly your project team and with the support of Industry Engineers begin to design, test and prototype marble runs.
- A school-based phase (January – February 2018), where you will work with your teams, supported by Engineer Ambassadors from Industry, to produce competition entries for submission (beginning of March)
- A competition final hosted at the University on 20th March 2018 for all participants to present their marble run designs and prototypes in front of a guest judging panel.
- The GMEC Marble Run Celebratory event (provisionally 19th June 2018), where the combination of every team’s marble runs will be incorporated into a main frame ready for the attempt
CYCLE 2 (open to ALL schools, primary and secondary within or beyond Greater Manchester) will comprise of:
- A range of information and resources provided via a bespoke website that will allow teachers and their pupils to find out about the marble run challenge. (Notice of when the website goes live will be announced here, early Febuary 2018)
- Encouragement that marble run making becomes a core activity your pupils underake in March, perhaps as part of your school's commitment to British Science & Engineering Week (9th-18th March 2018)
- Sumbission of a Marble Run Massive Share by submitting a powerpoint (of no more than 5 slides, that can incorporate photos/video etc). This will be a pitch to illustrate why your Marble Run should win a range of categories.
- Winners will be invited to the GMEC Marble Run Celebratory event (provisionally 19th June 2018).
Why get involved?
This exciting and unique project is a great way to inspire your learners. They will begin to think differently about problem solving and team working; they will be encouraged to think like engineers as they interact with Industry Engineering Ambassadors. As teachers you will have the opportunity to develop as professional leaders and to make contacts and potential partnerships within Greater Manchester. The challenge is completely free of charge to enter and you will receive support throughout the year. You may be interested to explore www.seerih-innovations.org/tinkering4learning to find out more about SEERIH's work in developing teaching and learning in engineering in classrooms in the UK.
How to find out more or get involved...
Contact us directly, involvement is NOW open. Phone us on 0161 306 3991 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org using 'GMEC' in the Subject Bar. Please indicate your school and where it is located. We look forward to hearing from you.